So, after reading on Slashdot about the hot new Opera Mini web browser I just HAD to go and try and download it. To my Samsung i300 Palm phone. Which is conspicuously missing from their supported devices page.
I should have known better.
I mean, I already HAVE a graphical web browser on my phone (albeit a somewhat crappy one that was supplied as a replacement for the version of Blazer that originally came with the phone). So it’s not like I really NEEDED this software from Opera. I kind of thought, well, they have another Palm device (the Palm Tungsten C) listed, so maybe my phone will work, and well, Opera is pretty cool, right? And maybe their new browser will be better than the one I’ve got right now…
So, I dutifully browsed to the http://mini.opera.com address using my phone’s browser. I clicked the link to download the application. I clicked Yes to say, yes, I really really want to download this. And thats when, once it got mostly through downloading (I think…) things went TERRIBLY WRONG.
As in, now, my phone won’t boot.
It’s bricked. As in, I can’t even HARD RESET (due to another issue, totally unrelated to this of course, the fact that the ONE KEY on my phone that DOESN’T WORK ANYMORE is the freaking UP key, the specific key that you NEED to press in order to DO a hard reset. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
So, now I’m waiting with the battery taken out, hoping that it will run out of it’s internal reserve of power that lets it remember things so that it will forget everything and play nice again so I can resync it with the lappy.
This is the error message that I get when I try to boot the phone, happens during the Initializing Phone… sequence:
TapiClientGlue.c, Line:112, null pointer use.
Let this be a lesson to you — sometimes, even when you think that the rules and “supported hardware” lists don’t apply to you… they do.
Guess it really is time for that Treo 650, huh. And yes, I did submit a bug report to Opera… Might be a good one for their FAQ.